Tool 5: Calculating the Contribution of Land Grants to Affordability
This tool allows you to calculate the impact of land grants on the total
number of affordable housing units in a project. If you are a government
official, this information can help you to decide whether to grant land to a
project. If you are a private sector or non-profit figure, it can help you make
the case to government for land grants.
Please note that the blue cells below are calculation cells and thus,
do not require entered information.
- In column A, enter the name for the proposed residential project.
- In column B, enter the number of units the proposed housing project will
- In column C, enter the value of the land on which the affordable housing
project will be built (using, for example, MLS data).
- For column D, click the "calculate" button to determine the land costs per housing unit.
- In column E, enter the average costs of housing units in the affordable
housing project (as determined based on the cost of land, construction,
building fees, and taxes, etc.).
- For column F, click "calculate" to determine the number of housing units that the land grant
- For column G, click "calculate" to determine the number of housing units that the land grant
will fund as a percentage of the total proposed units.